Place in the Victorian Periodical Press
June 13-15, 2024
University of Stirling, Scotland
Proposals for the 2024 conference will be accepted until November 15, 2023.
2024 Conference CFP
The Research Society for Victorian Periodicals will hold its annual conference in Scotland at the University of Stirling, June 13-15, 2024. The conference will be primarily in-person, although it will include some online sessions, as well as opportunities to attend the Woolf and Colby lectures and the RSVP annual business meeting remotely.
Much has changed in the decade since the RSVP conference last focused on “Place” (2014 in Delaware). In Stirling in 2024, we will revisit the theme, a return that will allow us to consider changes in Periodical Studies as well as the academy in these years. Papers addressing any aspect of nineteenth-century British periodicals or newspapers are, as ever, welcome, but RSVP particularly encourages proposals for talks (or panels) on the topic of place. Areas of focus might include:
- The representation of different types of place and locality, including the host country of Scotland
- Placemaking and the periodical press
- Place and the production and consumption of periodicals
- Content placement within the periodical press
- Changing places and changing relationships between periodicals, contributors, editors, publishers and readers
- Resisting/imposing place: knowing one’s place; pushing against one’s given place; being put in place Anchored in/dislocated from place
- Finding places for teaching Victorian periodicals
The RSVP conference committee invites proposals for individual papers, panels (3-4 presenters), and roundtables (max. 6 people). Proposals must be submitted via RSVP’s digital application portal by November 15, 2023. The portal will open September 1, 2023. Acceptance decisions will be sent out by mid-December.
- For individual or co-authored papers, please submit an abstract (200-300 words) and a biographical note (100 words) for each author.
- For panel proposals (3-4 presenters), please submit a panel rationale (200 words), abstracts for all presenters (200 words per person), and biographical notes for all presenters (100 words each).
- For roundtable proposals (max. 6 people), please submit a roundtable rationale (300 words) and biographical notes for all participants (100 words each).
We plan to make plenaries and keynote addresses available in a hybrid format. We are also planning for a limited number of slots for remote presentations in a hybrid setup at the local conference. When submitting your abstract to the portal, an option for “remote presentation required” will be provided. If you have any questions regarding this hybrid option, please email the Communications Coordinator.
Further information about local arrangements will be posted in due course.
About RSVP Conferences
The Research Society for Victorian Periodicals holds its annual conference each summer or early fall at a different location in North America or Europe, on a theme relating to Victorian culture and society as reflected in its periodicals. RSVP offers a limited number of travel awards for graduate students and independent or retired scholars to assist with the costs of presenting at the conference. All those giving a paper at the RSVP conference are required to be members of the Society.