The Research Society for Victorian Periodicals holds its annual conference each summer or early fall at a different location in North America or Europe, on a theme relating to Victorian culture and society as reflected in its periodicals.
2020 Annual Conference of the Research Society for Victorian Periodicals
Revolution(s), Evolution(s), Circulation(s)
September 10-12, 2020
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
This CFP has now closed. See you in September!
This year our conference theme focuses on Revolution(s), Evolution(s), Circulation(s). Topics that might be considered include, but are not limited to:
- Coverage of revolutions and revolutionary thought in the periodical press
- Censorship, restriction, and control of the press
- Revolutions and evolutions in periodical production, design, illustration, editorship, readership
- Darwin’s Theory of Evolution or other revolutionary scientific and medical theories
- Upheavals in class, gender, race
- The New Journalism
- Circulation of periodicals
- Dissemination of ideas: plagiarism, copy, imitation
- Circulating bodies (emigration/immigration, the slave trade)
- Circulatory systems (pollution, disease, blood)
- The growth or evolution of specialized periodicals
- Fashion and fads
- Revolutions and evolutions in work and entertainment
- Revolutions and evolutions in periodicals studies, research methodologies, and teaching periodicals
- Digital (r)evolutions and the press
The submission deadline has now passed. General submission guidelines for our annual conference are as follows:
- Proposal for papers: A 250-word abstract with a title plus a separate 75-word biographical statement.
- Panel proposals: A set of three or four 250-word abstracts with titles plus a general title for the session. Include a 75-word biographical statement for each participant.
Graduate students and independent or retired scholars may indicate on the form that they wish to be considered for RSVP travel awards for attending the conference and presenting a paper. All those giving a paper at the RSVP conference are required to be members of the Society.
You can download a copy of the CFP here.